Saturday, July 21, 2007

Elijah


If I had just one moment in India to share with you it would have to be this one. During my lectures to the village healthcare workers on Friday, Mom and Sister Lee took a walk. They visited a neighbor's home who had just had a baby boy 3 weeks ago. When Leah & I finished our classes we joined the others in their walk to see the baby. We all held him and just spent time with the family which included Leah's first drink of coconut milk directly from the coconut freshly cut from the tree. As I held the baby, the family asked me to name him. I thought they must be kidding to let a stranger name their first-born son. (I had forgotten that this lady had attended one of my classes at the orphanage in December regarding nutrition during preganacy and infant feedings.) I couldn't help but name him Elijah. I had been studying the life of this Old Testiment prophet lately and this name seemed perfect. As the prophet Elijah climbed the mountain to the top of Mt Carmel for the great show-down between the false prophets, he had to pass all the pagan shrines scattered up the mountain. This reminds me of India and these mountains so much. He basically said to the world around him that he would stand for truth regardless of the circumstances. I pray this will be the attitute of our little Elijah.

1 comment:

KELSTER said...

Oh my word Karebear, I just wanted to cry when I read this. How precious!!! God is awesome!!! Love, Kelsey