Thursday, January 11, 2007

Great Opportunity

Last night I was given the opportunity to speak to a group of kids from a local Baptist church about my India trip. I don't know who had more fun- me or the kids. They really seemd to enjoy seeing the Indian children and learning about some of our churches, orphanges and clinics over there. I even recorded the kids at the Eureka home singing the little song Read Your Bible, Pray Everyday. I taught the American children this song and then let them hear the Indians sing it. They really got a kick out of that.

I told them that during the months of December and January (Pongal) the Hindus play loud chants and eery music over the loud speakers at their shrines. One shrine is very near the Eureka home and the children hear this morning and evening. I told them that that's just another reason for these children to learn about Jesus and study His Word so their little minds can be protected. This seemed to really hit home with the kids. I also told them of the clinic day that the location we had to set up was right in front of a Hindu temple. I would be lying if I didn't admit that this was a little bit frightening. The Hindus would come out and just glare at us and then turn their music up louder. They also took their microphones and adjusted them to provide 'background noice'. This got the kids attention too.

Not only did we have fun talking to one another but at the end I chose a little girl and wrapped her in a sari. I also had an Indian scarf for another girl. Not only that, but my grandma and great-aunt from Cananda came with me (what a treat!). It was truly a good night.



No comments: